RE: TR3/4 starters...

To: <BHardySmith@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3/4 starters...
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 07:15:57 -0700
> I have a TR3 that orginally had the "bullnose" starter.  Before I
> bought it I
> think the engine was changed to one that used the later (ie long nose)
> starter.  the trans case was "modified" to used the longer
> starter (ie a hole
> cut in it)  I had the starter rebuilt (long nose) rebuilt.  When
> I went to
> bolt it up, I could not get it to "mate".

In what way didn't it mate ?

>  Is there an adaptor plate or
> something for this starter?

No, shouldn't be.  There are shims that are sometimes used between the
starter and the engine block, which increase the depth of engagement (for
the later starter) between the gears.  However, the flywheel is different,
if you've still got the early flywheel, the later starter may not engage
properly.

>  Should I throw up my hands and quit.  Does
> anybody have any experiance with the "modern starters on the
> market for these
> cars?  Are they worth the very high price?

Haven't tried mine yet.

Randall