Re: Viruses

Subject: Re: Viruses
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 08:30:22 -0700
>Actually, it's more of a Microsoft issue. Both their Operating System and
>Software Applications (MS Office, Outlook, Exchange, IE) use technology
>that is vulnerable (i.e.,VB). It's a double edged sword - in their effort
>to make both the s/w and o/s intergrated, they expose themselves to
>viruses ("yes, I'm over simplifying). For this reason, I use Lotus Notes,
>and rarely ever get infected (once in 8 years). I can even open an
>infected files to look at it without running them!

It is my understanding that, in addition to the Mac being generally
invulnerable to viruses by virtue of its small market share, there is
something inherent in the Macintosh operating system itself that
makes it a difficult target for the authors of viruses. If this is
really true, (and I cannot confirm this as it is beyond the scope of
my knowledge and understanding) Macs would be less vulnerable to
viruses EVEN IF Apple enjoyed a market share as large as Windoze.
However, the new Mac OS X may have changed all that. It's possible
that the advent of Mac OS X has reduced the Mac's relative immunity
to viruses. I haven't taken the OS X plunge yet and don't plan to
anytime soon.