RE: Broken crankshafts

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Broken crankshafts
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 21:50:26 -0700
> Have a crank downstairs that I had intended to use on my current rebuild.
> Shop found a crack when it was magnafluxed. Same place, No. 4.
> Believe it's
> a design flaw or perhaps an application error since it was not designed to
> run at high rpm's in it's original application.

That's certainly a common place for them to break.  However, seems a little
harsh to call it a design flaw when most of them are still not broken, 40
years after they were made !

Most of the local racers apparently use prepared original cranks
(shot-peened, nitrided, balanced, etc.), although some certainly are running
billet cranks.  Yes, the originals break occasionally, but last I heard, a
new billet crank was something like $2400 ...

TeriAnn has some good comments saved on her website at
http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman/TR/Net_TRcranks.htm

Randall