Re: Paint for TR7 undersides?

To: Eganb@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Paint for TR7 undersides?
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 22:23:39 EDT
In a message dated 5/5/02 8:42:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Eganb@aol.com
writes:

<< There's a lot of surface rust under the car.  So, anyone got a product
that
 can be applied to a "wire-brush clean" surface, doesn't need any special
 handling, and doesn't need to be coated with a top coat?  >>

The car show people are probably using POR-15 is supposedly a great ( but
expensive) way to take care of rust. I never used the stuff so I can't offer
a opinion.

For various projects I use "Extend" brand rust converter by Permatex.  It
is/contains Phosphoric acid to convert the rust to a more stable compound.
The liquid is handy for flat panels and the spray is good for hard to reach
areas.

For top coats Rustolem is great.  PPG brand 2 part epoxy primer is even
better, but due to the spray gun requirements I tend to use it only on long
term keeper cars.   Epoxy primer is _the_ base coat to be used over bare
metal.  Body filler can be applied directly over the stuff. This prevents
water from seeping under filler causing rust bubbles.

The long term stuff gets a coat to rust _proofing_ not _undercoat_.  Rust
proofing is a waxy liquid that does not dry out and crack.  "Rusfree" brand
seems good as it is available in 1 gallon jugs.  The black stuff ( make sure
it says rustproffing ) is good for underbody since is skins over, the
clear/amber stuff remains liquid and is better for inside doors and frame
rails.   Undercoating in spray cans or jugs is a tar substance that tends to
dry out over time and crack allowing water to collect.

For your car I'd use Extend then cover with Rustolem.  After a few months go
back and re wire brush and Extend/Rustolem and fuzzy areas.  Once the fuzzy
areas have stopped growing, I'd give it a spray with rustproffing.

Harold