RE: Bad Fuel Pump...NOT!

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bad Fuel Pump...NOT!
From: "Pharr, Jeff" <pharr@terralign.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 09:53:01 -0400
Cc: "'David Delano'" <ddelano_98@yahoo.com>
Any advice aside from the tank overhaul would be
highly appreciated...
Dave D. - Cincinnati, OH

Dave,
I hate to say it, but I had the same problem and tried everything you
mentioned and more and all it did was deprive me of another 8 months worth
of enjoyment from driving the car.  My '65 TR4A was a daily driver that sat
for a couple of years during body rustoration.  Everything was pretty well
crudded up when I got to the point of getting it back on the road.

I could see particles of crap in the sediment trap of the FP and with gas
level low I could see trash in the bottom of the tank. (Use a flashlight not
a match...)  Several things I tried that you did not mention:

I used compressed air to blow back from the FP to the tank and then siphoned
out a good bit of the sediment with a medium diameter hose.  Not good
enough, the stuff was just flaking off the inside of the tank.

I then replaced all the bits of rubber hose, removed all the rigid piping
and cleaned it as you mentioned.  Stout, nylon weed eater line works pretty
well too.  Rebuilt the FP and cleaned out the bottom end of the carbs real
well.  Next, at the advice of a local LBC repair shop, I pulled the tank,
dumped in some decent solvent and a handful of big nuts and bolts and gave
it a good shaking.  It knocked a bunch of stuff loose but there is just no
way to get inside the baffles to really clean things out.

Ultimately I took the tank to a restoration place who sandblasted it inside
and out, spruced it up a bit and then coated it inside and out with some
sort of goop.  That is what finally did the trick and I wish I had done it
much sooner.

Now my gas gage is inop and the check valves that came in the TRF FP rebuild
kit do not fit as well as the originals.  I have had one of them pop out
while driving a couple of times now.  I've ordered a replacement pump from
TRF as well, but it has been on terminal backorder.  It just never ends...

So, that is my advice.  Don't mess around and waste valuable driving time.
Be aggressive and have the tank restored.  I can give you info on who I used
if you are interested.  Not cheap, but not outrageous either, seems like it
was just shy of $300 to have it done.

Good luck,

--Jeff