Bad Fuel Pump...NOT!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bad Fuel Pump...NOT!
From: David Delano <ddelano_98@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 05:11:33 -0700 (PDT)
Listers,

Caution: If you are getting trickles of fuel from your
pump and your car will idle but not rev for more than
a few seconds then suspect a bad fuel pump... BUT
PROCEED WITH EYES WIDE OPEN!!!

I rebuilt mine ('61 TR4 - CT0675) put it all back
together and... car idles (for a while) but will not
rev for long and then it dies.  Follow the crumb trail
upstream and you will likely determine that there is
restricted flow from the gas tank that is causing the
problem.  The first sign that this is the case is that
the priming lever will actually become "bound" by the
upstream pressure from the lack of fuel flow - don't
force the priming lever or you may end up rebuilding a
perfectly fine fuel pump (again in my case!).

So, the question for the list is:  How to clear the
restriction without a complete tank removal, cleaning
and re-lining?  I plan on trying a mighty-vac pump to
see if I can suck the crud from the tank... some fuel
system cleaner possibly?  Is it possible to get some
suction into the tank from the filler neck into the
region of the fuel line connection?  What other
alternatives do I have?

I suspect some old fuel gel/varnish since I had to
"ream out" the fuel line and the opening into the tank
just to get liquid to flow through the system. (By the
way a thin, straightened coat-hanger wire spun in a
hand drill makes a really good roto-rooter style fuel
line reamer!) I am guessing some of that ream-sludge
is coming back to haunt me.  I guess I hoped it would
either dissolve with time or get sucked into the
sediment bowl at some point...

How do you know if you have a rust problem in the
tank?  Can you see into it far enough to visually
inspect it?

Any advice aside from the tank overhaul would be
highly appreciated...

Dave D. - Cincinnati, OH
http://health.yahoo.com