Re: Semi Metalic Brake Pads - Round 2

To: sdtilton@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Semi Metalic Brake Pads - Round 2
From: tr6nut@telocity.com
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 12:07:13 -0700 (PDT) lpath.net>
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Scott,

Looking at your photo, I'd venture that the "bad" pad
is actually for a Datsun/Nissan 240Z. The two fitments
(TR vs Datsun) are very close, but the pad dimensions
are different by just a smidgeon.

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6

Scott Tilton wrote

> A couple of weeks ago a posted a note about some semi
metalic brake pads I
> purchased that were not what I expected and didn't
fit to my liking.

> I mistakenly thought that the pads came from Moss
Motors when in fact they had
> come from a Moss Motors distributor who substituted a
different brand of pad.

> I must give Moss a lot of credit, they were very
attentive and responsive to my
> complaints and helped me figure out that the pads I
had were not the
> Austrailian made pads that Moss sells.
>
> The distributor was also responsive and did send me
some genuine semi-metalic
> pads that came straight from moss.
>
> The distributor said he compared the pads and really
didn't see a difference,
> and also said that he had never had a complaint so
the best he could guess was
> that I had gotten a "bad set."
>

> I have compared and photographed the two kinds of
pads side by side, and there
> is not any doubt that the distributor's substitue
pads are not correct for the
> Triumph TR cars.  They are very close . . but brakes
aren't horseshoes.

> I remembered having the problem with another set of
pads and dug around in the
> parts junk pile and found an identical set of pads to
the ones the distributor
> sold me.  They also had the exact same fitting
problems.

> So I maintain that it wasn't a "bad set" but were
infact representative of the
> product.
>
> So consider yourself warned:
> If you get some semi-metalic brake pads, made in the
USA, with pads riveted to
> the cad plated backing plates . . . don't use them.
>
> I'm very happy with the Austrailian made pads that
I've gotten from Moss.
> They work well, I don't have a squeal problem and the
brake dust has reduced