Re: Tie Rod End Piece - TR4

Subject: Re: Tie Rod End Piece - TR4
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 22:40:40 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Another method is to jack the car up and mark the tire by spinning it,
and holding something against the center of the tread.  (I usually use a
scribe, but a pencil would work just as well.)

Since you're limited as to how far up the tire you can get a straight
shot across the car, I made a 'tool' from some scraps of thin particle
board (Masonite) and a length of 1"x2" lumber.  The Masonite pieces are
4-5" wide, 12-13" long, and attached to the 1x2 at a short edge, spaced
so they roughly match the centerline of my tires.  After marking the
tires, setting the car down and bouncing it several times, I slide the
1x2 under the car from the side, and rotate the particle board up behind
the front wheels, so that the edge is at axle height, and transfer the
marks from the tires to the edge of the Masonite.  Then without moving
the car, move the 'tool' to the front of the tires, and read the toe-in
directly by comparing the marks on the tires, to the marks made on the
Masonite.

How accurate this is depends on how careful you are, but IMO it's easy
to match the "computerized" systems.

Randall