Re: Hydraulic Lift - JIC fittings???

To: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Lift - JIC fittings???
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 01:08:34 -0400
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Brian Sanborn wrote:

> Listers,
>
> Well, I am now a certifiable nut case.  I bought a used 4-post
> hydraulic lift for my TR work. I got a great price on it from the
> widow of an MG guy who passed away.
>
> I have to dismantle it and move it to my garage.  It's about 75
> miles away.

  Are you sure you have to dismantle it?

  I have a four post hoist which I installed at my last
house, then moved to this house and installed it here.

  I didn't have to really dismantle anything.

  My hoist is really a big and very heavy bed, with four
posts that aren't really connected except by cabling. The
posts are bolted to the floor, and the bed is captive
in the posts and is slid up and down with the cables.

  The only real work I had to do was bolt four heavy
duty casters temporarily to the bed, and lowered it
to the pavement.

  Then, I just unbolted the corner posts from the
floor, and released the cables. Secured the cables
to the bed, disconnected the hydraulics and capped
the lines, and called a flatbed.

  They dragged it up onto a flatbed using the casters
and some wooden posts as skids, drove it to the new
location, and rolled it off.

  Total cost, $75cdn for the tow truck, used about 30
minutes of his time. A casual evening putting it back
in, a few nasty hours drilling the new holes, and the
hoist is running again.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca