Re: Hydraulic Lift - JIC fittings???

To: sanborn@net1plus.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Lift - JIC fittings???
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 20:09:11 EDT
In a message dated 10/8/01 5:46:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sanborn@net1plus.com writes:

<< Listers,

 Well, I am now a certifiable nut case. >>

Welcome to the club, I've moved a two post lift twice and 4 bays of 4 post
parking lifts once.

 <<1.) Have any of you heard of a company that rents tough pick-up
 trucks.  The biggest piece is 9' long and the whole thing weights
 a 1000 lbs.

 I am pick-up impaired and no nothing about these
 trucks.  What would I want to rent to move this thing.>>

 Check a independent rental place for a 3/4 ton pickup or box van.  A stake
body/ 2 1/2 ton box truck is usually too tall unless it has a lift gate.  (
$$$ )  The U haul route will work but be sure to have a garnet the truck will
be there.

Stuff you will need:
Does the current owner have the install manual?  It would go a long way to
detriment what tools are needed and the disassembly procedure.

Paper, pen, marker and stick on labels or tags  ( helps to label stuff for
reassembly)

5 gallon container for the hydraulic oil. ( my 2 post lift takes ~ 3 gallons)

Funnel and some hose  (it's no fun holding a slow to fill heavy 5 gallon
bucket if the pump is on top of the lift)

Sockets, wrenches ( 1/2" up to 1 1/8 would be nice)

Crescent wrench and pipe wrench

Wood blocking ( 4" X 4" X 12" is nice along with some 2 X 4 pieces)

Pry bar

Floor jack ( might not be needed )

Engine lift  ( might not be needed, but the main deck plate has to get into
the truck somehow)

Straps

Winch or comealong

Ladder or scaffold

Screwdriver

Hammer

Gloves

Rags

Change of clothes ( the lift parts might be lubed with grease )

<< 2.)  I have to dismantle the hydraulics and cap the end of the
 cables and plug the fittings where I make the breaks.  The
 instructions refer to the fittings being JIC-6 in size and
 sometimes say 3/8" JIC-6.  They mate to 3/8 NPT at the cylinder
 and the power unit.  Does anybody know what the JIC means.  It's
 new to me.  I need to buy some plugs and caps and don't even know
 what this stuff means.>>

As others have said JIC is Joint Industrial Council a standards organization
formed to standardize parts.  The " - " also known as "Dash # " is the size
of the fitting/pipe/ hose in 1/32 of a inch.   So  " - 6 " = 6/32 inch = 3/8
inch

 AN ( Army Navy ) fittings use the same dash system and will screw together
but can't be counted on for a reliable pressure seal.  AN uses a 37* taper
while the JIC uses a 45* taper just like a inverted flare brake line or fuel
line.

For transport, mixing types of caps will be OK as long as they aren't
tightened beyond hand tight.  Wrench tight might groove the sealing surfaces.
 Plastic caps generally aren't leak proof, be sure to get the steel/aluminum
shipping caps or regular high pressure caps.

The general procedure is to run the deck plate up, block it with wood,( it
might be helpful to have the deck at pick up height.  The idea being, after
the posts are removed, back the truck under and remove the blocking)  hold
the down lever and compress the hydraulic cylinder.

Un do the lift chains/cables, drain and remove the hydraulic pump and hoses.
( If it is the typical vertical motor on top, tank hanging off the bottom, be
prepared for ~ 80 Lb.

Un bolt and remove the supports running parallel with the car ( Careful, most
everything is heavy on a lift )

Un bolt the uprights from the floor.  These are pretty east to turn and walk
around, be sure to not to tilt too far, they will topple.  If possible, back
the truck ~ 2 ft away from the post, stand in the bed and pull the post
towards you.  It idea is to have the post contact the edge of the tailgate
when the top is ~ waist height above the bed floor.  You can then push the
post down and pull or go to ground level and lift and push.

The key to all of this is:  Try not to lift the entire piece, look at the
center of gravity, length of the part and fulcrum point.  This will allow you
to move parts much greater than your lifting capacity.

If the deck comes apart, use your own judgment as to how much disassembly
will help you.

Be careful, moving a lift is heavy work, don't get hurt.  The above is
offered for information only and is offered without any liability for any
reason to the sender (me ).

Harold