RE: Hydraulic Lift - JIC fittings???

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hydraulic Lift - JIC fittings???
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 15:28:57 -0700
Brian Sanborn wrote :

> Well, I am now a certifiable nut case.

Waddya mean "now" ?  You own a Triumph don't you ???
<g>

> What would I want to rent to move this thing.

Check with Home Depot.  The one near me offers low-cost truck rentals if you
buy something from them.  At 9ft and 1000 pounds, almost any pickup truck or
whatever will do.  Leave the tailgate down, and bind the load securely.  You
might also check any local rental yards for 'local' rental trucks.  Last
time I looked, I found a 2-ton stake-bed for 1/2 what U-haul wanted.

> 2.)  I have to dismantle the hydraulics and cap the end of the
> cables and plug the fittings where I make the breaks.  The
> instructions refer to the fittings being JIC-6 in size and
> sometimes say 3/8" JIC-6.  They mate to 3/8 NPT at the cylinder
> and the power unit.  Does anybody know what the JIC means.

JIC stands for "Joint Industrial Congress" or some such.  It's an
international standard for high pressure hose fittings.  I believe (not
certain) that they interchange fully with "AN" fittings such as used on
aircraft and racecars.

If it were me, I'd just drain and discard the hydraulic oil and tape over
the exposed ends with masking tape during transport, then refill with fresh
oil after reinstallation.  But, Aircraft Spruce would be one source for
plugs.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/caplugpdseries.php
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/caplugtseries.php