RE: Always the same....

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Always the same....
From: "Dylan Pedersen" <pdylan@uswest.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 00:01:15 -0600
Randall wrote:
I've lost track of which car this thread is about, so I'll just throw in a
caveat :
The "lift the piston" test does not work for later cars with US emissions.
It will always indicate lean, because the emission carbs were calibrated to
run lean at idle, to reduce CO emissions.

Randall

Hi Randall - Is this true for all Triumphs with emissions controls?

If so, how do you set the fuel/air mixture while the engine is idling?

I ask because I'm in the middle of a carb rebuild and want to set the
mixture correctly.

I'm working with my '63 TR4.  It has Zeneth-Stromberg CD175 C1825s.  The
only emissions control I have found is the re-breather going from the valve
cover to the air filters, so I don't think I'll have the problem you
describe, but I'm curious none the less.

I am planning on using a color tune and the piston test to check to mixture.

Thanks for all the advice!
Dylan