Re: Always the same....

Subject: Re: Always the same....
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 23:28:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dylan :

No, the lean idle calibration didn't come until several years after the
closed crankcase system.  I'm not sure exactly when it did happen, but I
would guess it wasn't until 1975 or so.  The "lift the piston" test
should work fine on your TR4.

Since AFAIK the only spec for the lean idle is exhaust CO content, a CO
meter is the only practical way to set it accurately.  There are other
methods that would work (for instance propane enrichment/idle speed
drop), but someone would have to work out a spec.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver - no emission controls at all
63 Sports 6 - ditto