Re: Red-Line Driving

Subject: Re: Red-Line Driving
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 16:53:34 -0700
Cc: TR list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David Massey wrote:
> And standard tune on a
> four cylinder peaks out at less than 4800.

Depends on _which_ 4-cyl, the early TR3 (1991cc) was rated 100 bhp @
5000 rpm.

Even for the later 2138cc engine, 105 bhp @ 4750, it still makes sense
to rev to (or past) redline if your goal is to accelerate as quickly as
possible.  If you shift from 2nd to 3rd at 5000 rpm, the revs drop back
to under 3650, where the power is well down.  I don't have a torque
reference handy, but ISTR it's around 130 @ 3500, which would put bhp @
3650 around 80.  Going past peak power lets you get more total power to
the road, which is what gives the fastest acceleration.

Yes, they wear faster at high rpm, and are maybe somewhat more prone to
break suddenly (although such has not been my experience).  But, it's
your car, how you drive it should please you (and the local gendarmes).

My Dad's TR3A had a 4.11 axle in it, with no OD. (No, the axle is not
for sale)  He used to commute 4 hours each way in it, once a week, with
the tach laying on redline.  It put up with that treatment for many
months, although it did eventually swallow a valve.  IMO the valve
incident had more to do with lean mixture (worn needles and jets) and
cheap valves (JCW specials, I believe), than high rpms.

Randall