Re: Red-Line Driving

Subject: Re: Red-Line Driving
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 15:38:08 -0700
I can't think of a more concise way to make this point:

If Triumphs (those intended for use on public roads, that is) were
truly 'meant' to be driven at the red-line or at high rpms, Triumphs
(you pick the model) would feature, as original equipment, overhead
cam(s), a cross-flow head, better crank support, 4 valves per
cylinder, adequate lubrication of valvetrain components, cam
bearings, etc.

Triumph engines are beautiful pieces of machinery in many ways, but I
don't think there's anything wrong with being honest about their
limitations and deficiencies.  I think you could get away with saying
that a Ferrari was 'meant' to be driven at the red-line, but I don't
think you can say the same about Triumphs.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6