Re: Red-Line Driving

To: "Phil Smith" <philip.smith25@verizon.net>, " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Red-Line Driving
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 01 11:05:15 -0700
>I'm not sure who, but someone made the comment that triumphs were meant
>to be driven at the Red-Line. Is this just one person's opinion or are
>their other listers out there,  in agreement. I have never driven my TR6
>, any where near the red-line mark, out of fear of hurting the car, but
>would really like to! Thanks.

So I take it that your reason for having a sports car is for genteel
grand touring.

My reason is because I love charging lonely windy mountain roads.

My TR3A engine has a harmonic dampener for the big harmonic around 5000
RPM and is nidrided to handle the one closer to 6000 RPM.  Even though
that funny little red line is sitting at 4800 RPM  I frequently upshift
around 5,600 RPM and sometimes when the needle buries itself at 6000.
The engine is still pulling strong when the needle buries itself.  It
seems a shame not to use it.  And with the rear resonator absent, it
sounds sooooo good.  And If I can pass that Alfa spider, so much the
better.

Now if I can just afford a Quaife diff to help tame the rear wheels
coming out of tight corners.

TeriAnn Near Santa Cruz, California

My old car: 1960 Land Rover 109 owned since 1978
My new car: 1961 Triumph TR3A owned since 1986
  "Who could ask for anything more"