Re: Paint Spray Problem

To: "TR Listserv" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Paint Spray Problem
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 19:43:07 -0500
Ct54531@aol.com wrote:

> Can someone help me with a diagnosis -- and cure -- of the problem I've
> developed with the paint spray gun. It spits. I realize the obvious
diagnosis
> is something's clogged somewhere but I've completely cleaned the gun and
> dismantled it and left the separated parts, including the entire
> handle/trigger assembly, soaking in lacquer thinner for several days and
> figured that would do it.

I spent many many years working at Binks.  This is a really common problem.

Actually, (and confirmed by the cleaning you've already done to fix the
problem) the diagnosis is more than likely not a clog.  Spitting is much
more often due to a bad or loose needle packing.  The needle packing
adjustment is usually a knurled nut just ahead of the trigger, on the back
of the gun head.  The packing must be snug on the needle to maintain a seal
and not allow air to leak in.

When cleaning your gun after use, be sure to clean the needle too -
overspray often builds up and then can tear up the packing or maybe jam the
needle.

The packing is usually a graphite and fiber piece - pretty much the same as
faucet packing, but compressed into a little "egg" with a hole through it
for the needle.  It can be tightened to seal it, after making sure the
needle is clean and maybe apply a drop of "3-In-One" or other light machine
oil.  If the packing is shot and you have a name-brand gun, get the proper
packing.  If your gun is an "eggroll" brand, and you can't get regular parts
to fit, you might try some regular old hardware store faucet packing.

Karl Vacek
'66 TR4A - IRS
'68 TR250
'64 Amphicar