Re: TR3 Rear Cappings/Panels

To: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@lightspeed.net>, " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Rear Cappings/Panels
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 01 13:52:41 -0700
>     I am putting in more interior panel pieces and cappings.
>     My questions are: The interior piece that fits in front of the gas
>tank, does it glue to the gas tank and then get fitted (glued) over the top
>of the tank?

Huh?

Install the rear capping first. The cross section is an inverted 'J'
shape.  The long leg goes down the inside and gets screwed into place
with interior trim screws.  The curve of the 'J' goes over the ends of
the sheet metal and the short section goes down the outside nearly
touching the lift the dot pegs for the tonneau.

The rear quarter cappings sit in place at the rear corners.  The inside
end sits over the end of the centre rear capping.  The front of the rear
quarter capping goes under the dog leg capping.  The rear quarter capping
is held in place by the top trim screws that holds the rear side interior
panel into place.  That panel goes over the lower end of the rear quarter
panel.  There is a lift the dot peg that belongs on the INSIDE where the
rear quarter panel capping overlaps the rear capping panel.  It anchors
the capping ends and is the attachment point for the hood stick cover
(when the tonneau is not installed).  If you do not have an existing hole
that you can use to locate the peg, purchase or borrow a hood stick cover
to locate the pegs.

> Does the fuel gauge sending unit sit exposed?

Only if you do not install the rear interior panel (AKA rear seat back).

> Under where the rear capping goes on there are built in clips
> underneath. What went there?

The rear interior panel mounts there.  Slide it in between the clips and
the rear centre capping.  It should be a tight friction fit.

>Am I missing a piece?

Maybe the rear interior panel from your description.

> When the rear capping is in place and if the panel
>that fits against the tank was glued on,

Huh???  You are supposed to have a rear body panel that looks like a rear
seat with a fibre board backing and a curved top.  It is that curved top
that slides into those clips.

> I haven't seen this area in other Triumphs because they are usually
>covered by the tonneau.

Sounds like you need to make a trip to a Southern California TR club
meeting or a British car meet just to look at the way panels are mounted.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
webmaster@overlander.net      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html