Re: Towing TR3

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Towing TR3
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 23:10:52 -0400
There seems to be an idea that lubrication in a standard tranny is based on
a pump concept on this list lately...An automatic tranny has, by necessity,
a pump system which can be damaged by setting the trans in neutral and
towing, as then the pump is inoperative. With a manual, usually the normal
fluid level does reach the upper gear/shaft sets enough that they are
partially in the gear oil. These gears turning provide the required splash
to lubricate simply by spinning.  The fill level in a Spitfire/Herald tranny
is sufficiently deep to accomplish this. Everything spinning will lubricate,
everything not spinning will get wet anyway. They do lubricate properly when
towed. Just everything is not in operation as would normally be the case.
(take the top off the filled tranny sometime and look in- if the tranny is
out of the car, spin the output shaft by hand, and watch the oil inside...)

I have towed manual transmission vehicles (particularly jeeps, which have
the added problem of a transfer case) many times, on distances up to 1,000
miles each way, on their own tires with nothing done other than to insure
the transmission was out of gear. I have had no ill experiences due to this
method.  The main thing is to  top up your trans- as it should be anyway.

Having said that, I wish to mention that I prefer to tow with a full
carrier- it is safer for the vehicle(in the way of accident damage
reduction) and easier to maneuver than on its own wheels, as you now have a
centrally supported short wheelbase in tow, rather than a spread wheelbase.

Scott