RE: Towing TR3

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Towing TR3
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:55:14 -0700
Bill :

It's OK for short distances (say less than 50 miles).  Beyond that, you
should disconnect the driveshaft, or else fill the transmission to
overflowing with oil (and drain afterwards).  The issue is that the
transmission does not lubricate properly when the input shaft is not
turning.  Basically, it's normally lubricated by having the countershaft in
the bottom (which runs down in the oil) throw the oil all over, which lubes
the mainshaft as it runs back down.  But, since the countershaft is geared
to the input shaft, it doesn't turn while you're towing.  The bearing
between the input and output shafts is usually the first thing to go , but
there are also 3 gears that turn against the output shaft on simple
bushings.

Randall