TR6 - $%*&#@ brake MC

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - $%*&#@ brake MC
From: Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov (Richard R Olson)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:32:41 -0400
Again seeking your help:

1998 - bought new brake MC; installed with DOT3

1998-2001 no brake problems

6/2001 - flushed slightly grey DOT3 with DOT4 (I know...from somewhere
in the archives: it's about a 50/50 chance I'll have leaks).  Yup,
leaks at rear of MC, where the resevoir meets the MC, but nowhere else.

7/2001 - rebuilt MC, all new rubber, tipper, seals, etc.  Inside
cylinder was very clean, still shiny, spun emory cloth down cylinder
just to chase out anything I couldn't see.  Put back together, bled
brakes okay.  Test drive resulted in good brakes but almost empty
resevoir, for the front circuit (rear of the resevoir) after 40 miles.
Leaked in the same spot.

Since its been about 15 years since I rebuilt a MC, is there something
I missed here?  The rear seal between the resevoir and the MC doesn't
seem to get compressed enough, and fluif leaks out of it.

Any thoughts?
Back to good ole DOT3?

Thanks again,
Rick
'72 TR6, keeps going and going and going....