Re: Halogen Dash Lights

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Halogen Dash Lights
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:06:35 -0400
Phil Smith asks:

> Has anyone on the list tried halogen dash bulbs yet?

Does this mean halogen light for your gauges?  If so, I have just one
question:  Why?????  (I guess that's a second question, isn't it?  Oops,
that makes three.  I'll stop counting now.)

Admittedly the term "most people" doesn't apply to LBC owners, but "most
people" seem to drive around at night with their dashboards way too bright,
so bright that they must be hindering their perception of the road.  I spend
a lot of time driving a minivan, and from that higher vantage point I can
frequently read other people's dashboards across two lanes of traffic.  The
advent of in-car LCD screens with real-time map, GPS, in-flight movies for
the kids, and vehicle info can only make the average night-vision worse on
the world's roads.  By contrast (no pun intended), I find that I can see
better on dark roads by turning down the instrument lights even on my
Spitfire.  And when I'm in an area lighted so well that my guages have no
impact on my vision, I usually don't need the gauge lights to see them!

Has this simple detail of safe driving been lost to the public, or are we so
much in need of the comfort provided by a well-lighted known environment?
(Sorry, Phil, I'm not bashing you.  Just worrying about having all those
other idiots out there unable to see.  Maybe that's why they've all started
using so much brighter headlights!)

Just my two cents.

Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com