Steering Box Grease

To: "'mbarron37@home.com'" <mbarron37@home.com>
Subject: Steering Box Grease
From: "Brewer, Bill" <bbrewer@LEHIGHCEMENT.COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:07:18 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hey Mike,
     My steering box has grease in it and it doesn't leak. I tried oil, and
it just ran out of the steering box seals. Grease temporarily has kept the
car on the road. However, if you have oil in the box then the small metal
shavings/filings end up sinking to the bottom. If you use grease, they
remain suspended and accelerate the wear.
     I have acquired a spare steering box which I will rebuild shortly and
change out "on the fly" in TS72747LO. I'll be running oil and not grease in
it.
     I think that my second TR will get a rack and pinion.
     Good luck.

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA
     1960 & 1961 TR3A's