Re: gt-6 questions (longish reply)

To: "Martin Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Subject: Re: gt-6 questions (longish reply)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:19:35 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Martin Secrest"
>> Can't help with this unless I do some research.  I have no idea why
there
> should be vacuum to a thermostatic switch on top of the radiator unless
you
> have a vacuum-controlled fan!

That module has long been disconnected on my GT as well.  My understanding
is that it's a smog valve that opens (or closes) when the engine reaches
operating temperature, and thereby affecting the action of the retard line
from the distributor.  Or something like that.
<

On the 74 model TR6 the temperature sensitive valve will disable the vacuum
retard and thus increase the idle speed if engine coolant temperature gets
high enough.  The increased engine speed will increase the fan speed and
thus more cooling.

I can't speek to the TR6 but perhaps it is the same function.

Dave