re: Welding the transmission housing

To: top_down@worldnet.att.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Welding the transmission housing
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 02:54:53 EDT
John,

I had one leg of my TR4 generator snap off so I had it arc welded (aluminum),
filed it down smooth and it worked great. Point being - welding aluminum
seems to be OK.

My original bell housing had two bashed holes on opposite sides (about size
of silver dolllars) most likely prior owner wanted to spread open a stuck
clutch. I never had any problems with further cracking and I put over 100,000
on it. (I screwed on copper sheet metal covers over each hole)
Standard-Triumph specifically made the lip on the bell housing thicker in
later production   and added more reinforcing ribs.
While I never had any further cracking problems with my early thin lipped
tranny case - most folks recommend the later one if available.

Carl Sereda
'63 TR4 since '74 - CT22326L