TR6 - Ignition Problems

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 - Ignition Problems
From: "Bob Swafford" <swaff@att.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:51:02 -0500
As an introduction, my car is a 76 TR6, purchased new.  A hole in the diff
case 10 years or so ago coupled with family and work issues has kept the car
in the garage since around 1991.

Now that my son is driving, he has bugged me enough to get it back on the
road.  We replaced the diff this spring, so it now at least rolls again. At
the same time, we did some suspension work and other normal maintenance and
tune up stuff.  I'm waiting now for exhaust parts to get it back on the road,
but thought I would at least get it tuned up and running in preparation.

It cranks fine, but I'm not getting any spark.

I've checked all of the connections, swapped coils, etc. all to no avail.  So,
this evening, I broke out the test light and the multimeter and started poking
around.  I'm at a loss at this point.  Cranking the engine with the
distributor cap removed shows no spark at the points.  Yet, with the switch
on, and the test light clipped to the positive side of the coil, I can see the
voltage come and go when I operate the points.  I regapped, changed the
condesor and still no joy.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Bob Swafford
Normal, IL  USA