Re: Spitfire wheel width ?

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire wheel width ?
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:00:24 EDT
In a message dated 01-07-16 03:10:15 EDT, randallyoung@earthlink.net writes:

<<  the wheels on the car are 3.5" wide, which is
 the size listed by my Spitfire Haynes.  What's the deal ?  Was I (like
 Bogart in Casablanca) mis-informed ?  Or do the later Spits have wider
 wheels ? >>

Randall,

I believe that 3.5" wheels were used up until the Mk2 then 4.5" through end
of production.....I'd have to check my extensive Spit library (of three
books!) at home to be sure.  This would perhaps explain the comment that the
Spit wheels would be larger than the Sports 6's 3.5" wheels but only if you
use later wheels.

I'm sure you'll hear from the Spit archivists soon to validate my comments.

Chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (complete rolling chassis finished - busy painting various
interior parts, assembling the engine and still doing body prep - check out
my progress by visiting http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1270980)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (enjoying the summer)