Re: 3a lower wishbone - inner end

Subject: Re: 3a lower wishbone - inner end
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 18:07:38 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jim :

Sounds like you've got more there than just the inner lower pivot
hardware, perhaps the inner upper pivot as well ?

On each lower inner pivot (total 4 on the car), there should be :
one sleeve,
one nylon bush (which fits over the sleeve and inside the wishbone),
two nylon washers (which also fit over the sleeve),
two seals (which fit over the nylon washers, with some persuasion),
one wishbone,
one end plate,
two bolts with lockwashers and nuts (or nylocs) that secure the plate to
the frame,
and one nyloc to secure the plate to the pin.

The sleeve doesn't have to be a tight fit on the pin (the end plate and
nyloc clamp it into place), but also shouldn't have a lot of slop back
and forth.  If the play is less than .002" or so, I wouldn't worry about
it.  Up to .010" or so, use Loctite circular part mount.  If it's more
than that, you should probably have the pin replaced.  Moss sells
replacement pins (probably TRF does too), but they have to be aligned
and welded into place, probably not a job for the DIY.

I'll assume you've already replaced the outer wishbone bushings, and had
them reamed to size.

When assembling, I like to stretch the seals over the nylon washers, and
put the bushing inside the wishbone, then smear all the nylon with
grease.  Assemble the sleeve onto the pin, then a washer with it's seal,
then the wishbone with it's bush, then another washer with seal, then
the endplate and nyloc.  Run the nyloc up snug, but don't torque it down
just yet.  Install the two bolts, new lockwashers and nuts that hold the
end plate to the frame, tighten them, then torque the nyloc on the pin.

Now install the trunnion into the wishbone you've just attached to the
car.  I like to leave the vertical link until later, but it's personal
preference.  Again, stretch the seals over the thrust washers, then make
sure you've got the trunnion turned the right way front to back, slip on
a thrust washer, put the pin through the wishbone, put on another thrust
washer, the end cap and a nyloc or castellated nut.  The original
trunnion pins were drilled for a cotter pin, but apparently most
replacements are not.  Don't tighten it just yet.

Now for the fun part, the second wishbone has to slide into place on
both pins simultaneously.  Put the sleeve on the inner pin, put a nylon
washer and seal on it.  Put a thrust washer and seal on the trunnion
pin.  Now work the wishbone into place.  Finish up the inner and outer
pivots just like you did the first ones.

>From there, the rest should be obvious.  Ask again if it isn't !

PS the only steel flat washers in the whole mess are the ones that go on
the upper shock mounts, the ones that go on the outside of the upper
inner pivots, and the two that go on the upper ball joint.  Unless of
course, you've got the kit for the TR4, with all those metal rings that
go on the sides of the seals.

Randall