Re: 3a lower wishbone - inner end

Subject: Re: 3a lower wishbone - inner end
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 18:17:46 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
a Wallace wrote:

> Update - now I see something I gapped on before. The drawing of the inner
> fulcrum has two cross-hatched areas that are disguised as washers. I think
> they are really part of the frame of the car. This would imply that there
> are NO metal washers involved, only nylon. What a weird arrangement.
> So what wears against what?

Most of the wear occurs between the nylon bush and the sleeve.  The
nylon washers wear against the plate on the frame, and the end plate,
but usually not enough to matter.

> Does the metal tube rotate around the fulcrum
> pin, or is it clamped at the end by the triangular bracket being held on by
> the 11/16" nyloc nut?

It's clamped in place by the end plate and nyloc.  The outer diameter of
the sleeve wears against the nylon, but the inner diameter should not
wear.

> If that's the case, is there anything superior to the nylon bushes i.e.
> less likely to wear as fast?

I used Nylatron (from BFE) for all my inner pivots at my last rebuild.
I'm not sure how well it will outlast the original nylon in the lower
pivots, but it sure should outlast the rubber in the upper pivots !  I
also added grease zerks for the lower pivots, with a small hole through
the bushing for the grease to go through.  But, I'm not sure how
necessary, or even helpful, that is.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver