Re: check strap

To: Bob Rochlin <rochlin@massed.net>
Subject: Re: check strap
From: bob <rmf3860@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 07:53:45 -0400
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bob:

I'm not sure which part separated on your check strap, so I'll give you
my full two cents worth.

The check strap is attached to the door via large rivet. TRF sells them
for a nominal amount. The old one must be drilled out using a hardened
steel bit (start small and work up) and some patience. Unless you have a
special tool to compress the new rivet, you'll have to use a nut and
bolt. The specialty tool looks like a bolt cutter with interchangeable
heads. Instead of a nut and bolt, I used an appropriate size "tee" nut.
You can find these at Lowes, Home Depot or any good hardware store. They
come in different sizes and one fits the hole very well. Use locktite.

Once you have drilled out the old rivet, remove the kick panel, reach up
in front of the "A" pillar and you will be able to easily slide the
check strap through the "spring guide" and replace it.  Hopefully, the
"spring guide" is not damaged. It is riveted to the front of the "A"
pillar. If it's damaged, you'll likely have to drill it out and
substitute nuts and bolts.

Hope this helps.

Bob Fabie
Fredericksburg, Va