Re: noise when turning

Subject: Re: noise when turning
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:19:41 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Rich :

I have forgotten now why it doesn't rub when turning right, but I had
exactly the same symptoms many years ago, and it was a broken rear motor
mount.  As Bob said, the rubber in the rear mount does not like being
bathed in the various petroleum fluids that find their way back onto it,
and eventually turns to jelly.

My memory is that I changed the rear mount without removing the trans
tunnel, but at this point I can't tell you how I did it.  I probably
removed the two bolts from the mount to the transmission, then the 4
bolts that hold the crossmember to the frame, and slid the crossmember
out with the mount still attached.  Of course, you need something to
hold the engine/transmission up off of the mount, and it's definitely
tight quarters down there.  That car also didn't have OD; the OD might
make it impossible without removing the tunnel.

Randall