Re: TR3 clutch M/C spring

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 clutch M/C spring
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:28:25 -0400
> The clutch pedal on my 1961 TR3A (C.N. 74379)  does not return all
> the way.  I have traced the problem to the piston in the master
> cylinder not returning.

This can be helped with modern medicines.

> 1.  Does anyone know if there were two different plunger return
> springs in the clutch and brake master cylinders?  (if not, the DPO
> must have substituted a weaker spring in one of them).

DPOs, being notorious for such atrocities, should always be blamed when any
fault is found, despite their obvious absence when the problem is
discovered.

> 2.  Does anyone know where to get a replacement plunger return
> spring?  Phone calls to both Moss and TRF were not helpful today.

The 8-ball says "Try Again", I imagine another attempt would be in order.

> 3.  Has anyone tried a hardware store spring of the proper size?  I
> mean, all the thing has to do is fit in the hole and return the
> plunger.  How specialized can that be?

Though this sounds like an easy task, it is not as simple as it sounds. Size
is important, and strength can be a determinative factor.  Also, knowing
where it goes helps.

> 4.  What will Bobby Sue do when she finds out that David, and not
> Tommy (whom she has dated since high school), is the father of her
> baby?

She will wonder about what really happened at the party that night, was it
all a dream, or did the whole football team have her name tattooed on their
arm for some more sinister reason...And, what will David do when he finds
out that Sally is not really the mother of his baby?

> Bob

Yes. Yes you are, and quite rightly, too.

Scott
(checking for brain fluif leakage)