Re: TR3 clutch M/C spring

To: Nancy and Bob Wise <wises@new.rr.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 clutch M/C spring
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 21:21:40 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Nancy and Bob Wise wrote:

> 1.  Does anyone know if there were two different plunger return
> springs in the clutch and brake master cylinders?  (if not, the DPO
> must have substituted a weaker spring in one of them).

To the best of my knowledge, they were identical.  The parts book shows
only one part number ...

> 2.  Does anyone know where to get a replacement plunger return
> spring?  Phone calls to both Moss and TRF were not helpful today.

Moss P/N 582-065 will work.  This is the equivalent part for the TR6
clutch M/C.

> 3.  Has anyone tried a hardware store spring of the proper size?  I
> mean, all the thing has to do is fit in the hole and return the
> plunger.  How specialized can that be?

The tension is important here.  Too weak and the piston does not return
reliably, too strong and the other spring cannot open the return to the
reservoir.  Plus, the spring has to have small coils, or it cannot
compress far enough.

> 4.  What will Bobby Sue do when she finds out that David, and not
> Tommy (whom she has dated since high school), is the father of her
> baby?

Elope with Laurence the lawyer, who will sue the pants off both David
and Tommy for child support.

Randall