Shift Patterns

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shift Patterns
From: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:41:55 -0400
Hey for all you TR4 OD drivers- what is your shift pattern for hard
acceleration from a standing start?

I started with the obvious- 1L, 2L, 3L 4L, 4H (L is Low on OD, H is High in
OD)- but I felt that coming from ~40K RPM in 1st, 2nd gear was too low, and
required shifting too soon...

So ive been experimenting with shift patterns-

My current favorite is 1L, 2H, 3H, 4L, 4H (still five shifts, but now three
OD switches on/off)...this gives fewer gears at low speeds (skipping 2L in
favor of 2H), (so I do 1L to 40K RPM, then down to 2H at about 25K RPM, ride
it up to 35K RPM, then 3H, then 4 Low as I hit about 50MPH, 4H at ~65)...but
gives a lot of steps between 40 and 60MPH, when the car is accelerating hte
slowest...

Any way to install the OD switch upside down so that it is closer to the
gearshift with its bend pointing down?

Any racers done tests?  Any favorites out there?  Thoughts?

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information
intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution,
copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited.
If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
by reply e-mail and then destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions,
business of Bain & Company shall be understood to be neither given
nor endorsed by the Company.  When addressed to Bain clients, any
information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms and conditions
in the governing client contract.