TR3 Control Head Stator Tube

To: "'willgray@region.net'" <willgray@region.net>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Control Head Stator Tube
From: "Allen, Warren" <Warren.Allen@infores.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 08:35:58 -0500
Dave,

I can't help with wire removal, but I recently went through a difficult time
of getting the wires through a NOS or used stator tube that was somewhat
crudded up inside.  You'll have the same problem after getting your wires
out. (BTW, Roadster Factory and probably others sell the wire set for about
$30.)

My hint for cleaning out the crudded up stator tube is rifle cleaning
supplies.  They are available at K-Mart and Wal-Mart, and consist of a
multi-section rod and various sizes of wire brushes that screw on the end of
the rod, and cleaning solution (though probably any cleaning solution will
work).  It's not expensive, and they have different sized brushes for
different bores.  You'll need to guess about which brush size to get.  Be
sure and get the rifle stuff; the shotgun rods are too big to fit in the
stator tube.

Before continuing with what you've got, take a good look at your stator
tube.  They sometimes start cracking at the end of the slot where the
control head fits.  If yours is starting to crack, you ought to replace it
with a "new" one.

Warren Allen
1960 TR3A TS55177L