Re: re:O/D

To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: re:O/D
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 07:50:58 -0400
Message text written by "Fred Thomas"
>Tony, it was just rebuilt, it has also been suggested that the normal
>operating temp is also too hot for the touch, so just maybe, it's the owner
>having problems. I can drive for 3/4 days (about 150 miles) and suddenly I
>have no O/D, it will not engage, readjust the pinch bolt and all is fine for<

Hmmmm, Well, I did notice that my OD transmission got pretty warm on the test
stand, butI do not remember the tail of the O/D as being especially hot.

I am not sure how the heat relates to the solenoid/hydraulics going out of
adjustment.  They ought not to do that as there is nothing that "wears".

However, if there are metal bits in the oil being pumped through the passage,
it
COULD clog the passage (near the ball valve usualy)and make the OD fail to
engage, or slip out of OD.

In addition, if the OD is slipping it will create tremendous heat between the
brake clutch and annulus.  Maybe you are feeling the heat of a very hot annulus
being transmitted down its shaft to where it is closest to the outer surface.

How does your OD engage?  does it engage REAL smoothly, or with a neck wrenching
bang?

If it is real smooth, (A-types usualy have a rather "positive" engagement), then
I'd strongly suspect a hydraulic pressure problem and constant clutch slipping.

-Tony