Re: TR4 steel wheel colour

To: michaelgajic@hotmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 steel wheel colour
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 21:50:19 EDT
In a message dated 7/6/2001 9:25:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
michaelgajic@hotmail.com writes:

> I have the steel 'disc' wheels fitted on my TR4 and I was wondering about
> the thoughts of the list on their proper colour. Piggot states that they
> were "finished in silver lacquer or aluminium wheel paint".
>
> Mine are currently finished in a silver lacquer but I have spoken to a PO
> who owned the car in the late 60s and 70s who belives that 'cream' was the
> correct colour for the wheels on my TR4.

Michael, that cream (usually Spa White) likely is correct for your car. See
the following for a Standard-Triumph Service Bulletin "explaining" the change
from silver to white wheels in early 1963: <
http://www.vtr.org/TR4A/TR4A-wheels.html>. This may or may NOT have applied
to all markets, but it certainly was the case in the US until 1968 or so when
silver seemed to return as the normal color for steel wheels.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register
<www.vtr.org>