Re: fuel starvation or too lean?

To: January Williams <january@chemeketa.edu>
Subject: Re: fuel starvation or too lean?
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 19:28:05 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jan,

Hard to tell without checking fuel system, ignition etc. but I am leaning on
fuel
starvation. This could be caused by crud, rust etc. in the tank working its way
into the fuel line, the gauze filter above the sediment bowl, floats and
carburetors causing little or no fuel pressure. If the car was left for awhile
(few years) with old gas, that gas would have decomposed into what looks like
varnish and liquid. The varnish will certainly clog everything from the fuel
line
to the carburetors. One sure way to test is when there is no power, stop and
check to see if the pump is pumping! Disconnect the fuel line before the 1st
float and turn it over being careful to direct the gas in a safe area away from
heat sources. This is very dangerous however. Another listener may have a better
idea how to check if the pump is pumping ample fuel. If you have ample flow fuel
pressure is not your problem, but there may be a clog in the float valve or
carburetor. If not, start with the tank, fuel line and work your way forward.

Good luck and be careful checking for fuel pressure and flow.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V