RE: LBC's & age

To: "'Kai M. Radicke'" <kmr@pil.net>, <Cwn74@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: LBC's & age
From: "Phil Smith" <philip.smith25@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 01:13:13 -0400 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f5Q5GDG04586
Cc: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Kai M. Radicke
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 1:01 AM
To: Cwn74@aol.com; triumphs@autox.team.net
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net

> My friends think the Spitfire is great, but would I recommend anyone
buy
one?
>  With the modern cars available today, from convertibles to most
anything
> else with better handling, power and reliability, most definitely no.
It
> takes the right mix of enthusiast and backyard mechanic to want one of
these
> toys.
>
> Clark

Ah someone I've met from the lists, Hi Clark!

I couldn't agree more.  One must acknowledge that once the new young
owners
of British cars have a few minor niggles and either have to sort them
out
themselves or pay someone too, the inconveniences and expenses will
mount to
the point that buying a trouble free Honda will be very appealing.  At
the
urgency of their lifestyles, most of the under-21 crowd would definitely
choose a Honda over an LBC simply to avoid any complications.  Dates
don't
like being passengers in tow trucks, nor do they like hearing "sorry the
gearbox is out... can't go out."  When 99% of teens carry beepers and
cell
phones, not having or not being able to use their own mode of
transportation
just won't do any more.

The earliest Miatas can be had for $4,000... open top driving, Japanese
reliability coupled with a cloned and machined pseudo British
personality.
It is no longer even a match, nearly any young person would take the
Miata... or surely exchange their LBC for the Miata after owning an LBC
for
a while.

Kai

I just got back from seeing the movie "Fast And furious" and even though
it was Hollywood, there's no way our LBC's can stack up to a hot,
reliable Rice Burner. I don't see these kids getting the LBC bug! Just
my 2 cents.A V8 MGB might be a different thing altogether. I dont
remember which magazine that I read a story where they compared a hot
v8MGB to a TVR, great article, and beautiful cars.
Phil Smith
TR6