Re: Ebay refund protocol

To: "Alan Simpson" <Alan@roverworks.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ebay refund protocol
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:10:27 -0800
Alan,

I sold a project Spitfire on eBay with very good results.  I had purchased
it a few weeks earlier from a dishonest seller on eBay (unfortunately) who
swore that the car was "totally rust free" and was in wonderful mechanical
condition needing only a "tune-up".  When the car arrived here, I discovered
rust holes the size of half dollars in both the outer sills; the steering
had about 2" of play, the brakes were glazed or otherwise very unsafe; the
transmission popped out of 3rd gear when coasting; the wiring was screwed up
and the brake lights and turn signals were non-functional; the roll bar
wasn't bolted in... I could go on and on.

Finding a better candidate for restoration, I re-sold the car on eBay three
weeks after I bought it with a FULL and COMPLETE disclosure of the faults.
I ended up selling the car for a net gain of about $200 more than I paid for
it.  I had left NEUTRAL feedback for the original seller on eBay and he sent
me a very nasty e-mail after seeing that I resold the car with an honest
disclosure.  I e-mailed him back and basically told him where to get off.

So my eBay experience as a vehicle BUYER was not so great, but as seller it
was quite satisfactory.

Just do yourself and everyone else a favor and be totally forthright about
the faults as well as the attributes.  Good luck.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 frame-off resto project
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and..The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- moderated, focused, friendly!
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!