Re: Triumph TR6 on the dyno [long]

To: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Subject: Re: Triumph TR6 on the dyno [long]
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:22:17 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "J.H. Roulleaux"
>To compare with the American market TR6 with Strombergs the
DIN figures should be the following: up to 72 -  98 HP DIN at 4900
RPM and from model year 73 -  95 HP DIN at 4500 RPM.
The information is as published in factory folders and in different
European Classic car magazines, but there is always a certain
discrepancy to be noticed  of 1 or 2 HP due to conversion from
SAE to DIN.
Regards
Jean
<

That's interesting because I seem to recall reading somewhere (I forget
where) that the earlier carbed models were rated at 104 HP at 4100 RPM and
the later models were rated at 104 HP at 4900 RPM.  The later models got
the new camshaft and the lower compression.  This translated to me as the
newer engine had lower torque but better breathing resulting in the same
peak horsepower rating.

Oops.  It appears that I was wrong.  A quick look at the Graham Robson
book, in the appendix, lists the early engine (USA spec) at 140 @ 4500 RPM
and 143 LB-FT of torque whereas after 72 the rating was 106@4900 and 133
LB-FT.  And David Hodges' book seems to confirm that.  Neither book
addresses the change in measurement techniques, however.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA