Re: TR6 Clutch job

To: "Bryce Milton" <Bryce@Milton.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch job
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 00:07:25 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Brice
I would think that you should be able to do the clutch job OK, it is a
fairly straight forward nut and bolt job, if you took it out from there put
it back in the same place kind of thing! The thing that I would question is
where the noise is coming from, the car must be stationary with a gear
selected when you hear the noise to narrow it down to the clutch, if it is
then I guess it must be from the thrust bearing, if you don't have a gear
selected the input shaft and laygear cluster could still be spinning due to
drag in the system, then the noise could be from either of these.
Wherever the noise is coming from I would say if you don't mind a bit of
hard labour and you have the time to do it, DIY. If this is your first time
I would allow a weekend and take it slow and steady, get a new spigot
bearing that goes in the end of the crank to support the gearbox input
shaft, they are not dear and can prevent a couple of problems.

Graham.
2.5 PI MKII
Sprinted Dolomite
2000 MKI