Re: universal joint disassembly?

To: "Tim Gaines" <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>, <TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: universal joint disassembly?
From: "John & Pat Donnelly" <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:05:50 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Tim,
I, too, am in the middle of rebuilding my IRS and ran into the same
sort of frustrations. First off, a couple of the retaining rings
froze, then broke getting them out. Next the continual beating on the
yokes until the end caps moved, little by little. When I did this many
years ago I hammered the u-joint right through the end cap! A soft
faced hammer, like the ones used for wire wheels, work well.

I suggest a couple of things that might help. First, make sure you
clean out the retaining ring area real well so the caps won't meet
additional resistance from the gunk that builds up. And, heating up
the yoke (not the end caps) with a propane torch will expand the
metal, making it easier to get the caps out. Often, only one cap will
be extremely stubborn, so get the rest out, remove the u-joint, then
remove the last one using an equal size drift through the yoke.

John
'67 TR4A
'71 P1800E