TR6 Cam Shaft Problem...big one

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Cam Shaft Problem...big one
From: Crazeecooter@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 02:29:09 EDT
Dear List:

I have a problem that has me a bit heartbroken.  You see I recently did a
frame off of my TR6...and did a few things to try to give it some more
umph...lightened the flywheel a bit, and put in a hotter cam (iskendarian
cam).

Well I think the cam has screwed me over (or so my mechanic says) because I
can't get the car to pass california smog emissions.  He says the
hydrocarbons are way up.  Also, when hot...my car does not maintain its idle
sometimes and dies.  He does not think this is a result of the lightened
flywheel.  He says my carburetors can't support the cam and thats why I am
having this problem (Strombergs)  He suggests either doing webers (which will
never pass CA smog..but he says will prevent the car from dying)  or going
back to a stock cam.

We have tried several things to get the car to pass smog as is....set the
valve clearances as high as 22, as well as running a fuel mixture of 101
Octane gas and Ethyl Alcohol...to no avail.  Could the cam really cause this
much trouble...or could be it something else...like maybe the carbs need to
be rebuilt (they don't maintain the oil in the dash pot very well)

As you can imagine...after pouring all this money into the car I am not
exciting about replacing a cam...or investing in webers...and all around feel
pretty demoralized. (not looking for sympothy...just venting)  So if any of
you have any suggestons at all about other solutions to the problem...or
whats the best way to go to new cam...or webers...or something else
entirely...that would be helpful

Thanks Again:

Jonathan.