Re: Plug Taps

To: ewcorco@erenj.com
Subject: Re: Plug Taps
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:18:58 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu

I think that what the Toyota mechanic meant, was that they used a "thread
chaser" or thread cleaner.  This is a standard tool that is designed just
for cleaning the sparkplug threads, and it has special dimensions.  I use
one of these too.  However, afterwards, when re-inserting the sparkplugs,
I use a copper-based anti-sieze compound, so I don't have any problems in
the future.

Cheers.

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 ewcorco@erenj.com wrote:

> Listers:
>
> This probably has been covered at some point - if so, apologies in advance
> as I missed it......
>
> Recently a Toyota mechanic mentioned to a buddy of mine that at his shop,
> they run a tap through the threads to clean them up everytime they change a
> spark plug on a car, especially those with Al engine pieces.
>
> That seemed like a good idea to me, especially since I've occasionally seen
> a plug not thread back in as easily as it should during the lifetime of
> some vehicles.
>
> My questions - is there a down side to doing this (i.e. forcing a small bit
> of gunk/metal into the cylinder)?  What taps would one typcially need to
> have on hand to be able to do this for a range of common plugs (i.e. my TR6
> through my Honda daily driver or my tractor)?  How would one know what tap
> to use for a specific plug (is there some kind of chart)?
>
> Also, I'd appreciate a brief write up to use if someone could pass it on to
> me - i.e. whether or not to use a bit of tapping fluid or perhaps grease to
> immobilize any dirt, etc.
>
> As always, thanks in advance.
>
> Ned Corcoran
> 1971 TR6