Plug Taps

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Plug Taps
From: ewcorco@erenj.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 14:42:08 -0500
Listers:

This probably has been covered at some point - if so, apologies in advance
as I missed it......

Recently a Toyota mechanic mentioned to a buddy of mine that at his shop,
they run a tap through the threads to clean them up everytime they change a
spark plug on a car, especially those with Al engine pieces.

That seemed like a good idea to me, especially since I've occasionally seen
a plug not thread back in as easily as it should during the lifetime of
some vehicles.

My questions - is there a down side to doing this (i.e. forcing a small bit
of gunk/metal into the cylinder)?  What taps would one typcially need to
have on hand to be able to do this for a range of common plugs (i.e. my TR6
through my Honda daily driver or my tractor)?  How would one know what tap
to use for a specific plug (is there some kind of chart)?

Also, I'd appreciate a brief write up to use if someone could pass it on to
me - i.e. whether or not to use a bit of tapping fluid or perhaps grease to
immobilize any dirt, etc.

As always, thanks in advance.

Ned Corcoran
1971 TR6