Re: British Food (was From TRF regarding The Coventry Inn)

To: Anthony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>, TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: British Food (was From TRF regarding The Coventry Inn)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:36:22 -0500
Message text written by Anthony Gordon
>Nice one Dave, now you'll have the entire mid west after you!  Also, doubt

if "Cordon Blue" was in the job requirements of the French trappers,
although looking round here at those cooking in the greasy spoons, the
personal hygene and the ability to "tear a grissly bears' leg off
barehanded" looks like it still applies!

Tony
<

If you review my posts from earlier today I stated that there are quite a
few execent restaurants in St. Louis.  I'm sure that is also true for
Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis.  And I know for a fact that there is
at least one excelent restaurant in Quebec City.  All these areas were
first settled by the French.  (although their cultural influance has been
swamped out but the later German immigrants is some cases).

Besides, I have every right to comment on Midwesterners being one all my
life (47 years).  So there!

;-)

But you are right.  Much of the American cuisine is derived from not having
access to such things as herbs and spices but plenty of game and temperate
climate crops.  It is this influence that carries through in the fare sold
at McDonalds.  Alas, things are improving if for no other reason than the
influx of folks from the orient and Latin America.

Dave