TR4 Fuel Line Fittings???

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Fuel Line Fittings???
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 10 2000 14:37:14 GMT-0500
Listers,

Need some help.  I replaced a leaking fuel pump with a new one from TRF.  In
the process the already beat up and almost rounded brass fittings on the end of
the input and output fuel lines became completely chewed up.  I suspect that
the "ferule"(spelling) or little dounut ring on the end is far gone as well.
Both fittings leak a little now and to further tighten would be a mangle.  My
fuel cut-off is coming in handy in the meantime.

The question is where to get new fittings. The dounuts are a commodity at the
harware store but they don't have the brass/bronze fitting.  Also the fitting
on the output side is VERY special.  The fuel line is 1/4 but the fitting is
the size and thread used for 5/16 with a smaller hole for 1/4 pipe.  There is
no problem for the input as the pipe and fitting are 5/16.

I did two things:

1. Ordered new fuel lines from Moss.... very expense $33.  They supplied 5/16
output and input pipes and fittings.  The pipes are copperous/nickel with the
proper fittings and ferules.  The 5/16 output pipe will probably fit the pump
but is the wrong size at the carburator.  They are also the wrong color.  I am
afraid to polish them in case I want return them.  Anybody know if they will
polish to shiny steel color?

2. Bought 1/4 and 5/16 brake lines at the local auto parts store for $8.  This
will solve the input 5/16.... but the output 1/4... I can't source the special
fitting.

Any help from the "source of all knowledge" will be appreciated.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4 CT16260  Groton,MA
TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html