RE: what's a "gulp valve"?

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: what's a "gulp valve"?
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:33:43 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
A 'gulp' valve is an emission control device that limits intake manifold
vacuum during overrun (engine braking or deceleration) by allowing filtered
air directly into the intake manifold under high vacuum.

I believe it's purpose is to limit unburned hydrocarbons, by effectively
making the mixture extremely lean under these conditions, where it wouldn't
be burned anyway (not enough compression to fire).  It also helps prevent
exhaust backfires during long decelerations

AFAIK, 'Gulp valve' is American slang.  I don't know what the auto
manufacturers, or the British, call it, but it's probably something else.
However, Moss calls it a gulp valve.

Randall