RE: Clutch Master Cylinder

To: <greenman62@hotmail.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Clutch Master Cylinder
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 13:24:54 -0600

>This begs the question... "Why?"
>
>   Why resleeve a master cylinder when a replacement is currently
>   available? Only a "dyed in the wool" freak for originality would
>   pay more to resleeve anything than it would cost for new, new old
>   stock or what ever...

  Well, as one gentleman mentioned, it cost him $40 each to have the
things resleeved.  New master cylinders currently list for $150+ for
my '57 TR3, for example, so that's a savings of $110 each, plus I
would get the benefit of maintaining originality.  And I don't think
that a properly resleeved example would be functionally inferior to a
NOS item or a repro in any way.  All resleeving really does is
provide a new, smooth surface for the piston to slide on...

My $0.02, anyway.

Dan

>   Unless the part was totally irreplaceable... Like "company's gone
>   out of business, none, repeat none of the originals are left...
>   gone forever... you'll not see them again... finished... kaput"...
>
>   Yeah then I'd probably have it resleeved... if a good new
>   substitute couldn't be found...
>
>Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois
>1962 TR4 (CT4852L)
>
>That's not a leak... My car's just marking its territory...

Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, now with an O too. Runs & drives, but shakes
like crazy; needs new tires and a steering/suspension rebuild.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3, TS15098L. Needs an O. Undergoing frame-off restoration begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html

1988 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon. Gets me to work and back home again every day.
No home page. (go figure)